Philosophy of Ministry
1. We recognize that God has given giftings to all believers for the building up of the church and for the visible working out of the ministry of reconciliation to which all believers are called (2 Corinthians 5:18). All believers are therefore ministers, each one in different ways and to different degrees but all working together with no one greater or more important than the other, for all are equal and of infinite value in God's sight.
2. We believe that each person's gifts should be nurtured and provided opportunity to develop and become more and more fruitful by following a path of discipleship "until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ." (Ephesians 4:13)
3. We believe that all followers of Jesus Christ are in "full time" ministry and that God does not see any distinction between those of His children who work outside the church and those who serve in the church, since, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." (Colossians 3:23)
4. We recognize that true Christ-like ministry flows out of humility, compassion, and grace and out of a willingness to lay all of oneself upon the altar to God so that He is glorified and we diminish. " …….it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me." (Galatians 2:20)
5. We believe that the fundamental purpose of all ministry is to bear witness to God's reign (His kingdom) that has broken through into the world in Jesus Christ and offers a future and present hope to all who receive the good news.
6. We believe that ministry must always show the redeeming heart of God at work as seen in the story of the Prodigal Son (Luke 15), whatever the circumstances and situations, by extending mercy and compassion to all, including those who choose to be our enemies.
7. We believe that ministry flows to us, individually and communally, from the Holy Spirit and is guided by Him, such that, though "The heart of man plans his way, (but) the LORD establishes his steps." (Proverbs 16:9). So, while Southside Bible Church's overarching vision is "Loving God and Loving Others," we rely on the leading of the Holy Spirit operating through each believer as to the concrete steps or windows of opportunity the Lord opens for us to accomplish that vision. As we see the Father doing something, so we desire to do it.
8. We believe that all ministry must be continuously undergirded by prayer.